Monday, June 6, 2011

Brown Sugar Meringue


After poking around on the internet a bit, I found out that you're not even supposed to attempt making meringue on a humid day (or if you've recently boiled water or run the dishwater or laundry).  So maybe I was wrong to blame the sogginess on the ganache.  A good excuse to try this again!

Some people are intimidated by ganache, but it's nothing more than chocolate and warm cream.

To make the base of the meringue, all I did was whisk the egg whites until they formed soft mounds then
slowly added one cup of brown sugar.  This only took about three minutes in total, but some of the brown
sugar didn't entirely dissolve, so the uncooked mixture piped onto the baking sheets a bit unevenly.

2 comments:

  1. I think I took the top picture! These were so delicious. Perhaps next time we can make them cutesy and put sprinkles on the ganache side! Also, how did you figure out how to cross out a word and type over it on your type writer (where you replaced "best for" with "better"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had to feed the paper back in and sort of eyeball where the type would come through and adjust the platen accordingly. The sprinkles are a good idea, and I actually found a recipe for meringue with swirls of nutella, which might be good for next time!

    ReplyDelete