Wednesday, May 18, 2011

It's Electric: Smith-Corona Coronet Super 12



The obsessive compulsive in me really cringes at the typos and misplaced apostrophes in this typecast, but all these errors are organic to the process.  With these errors included, the page itself becomes like a moment trapped in amber.  In practicing my typing I've also realized how dependent I've become on spellcheck and auto correct.  When typing on a computer, I sometimes don't even bother to capitalize the first word in a sentence because I know that Word will take care of it for me.  Conversely, writing on a typewriter forces me to be more mindful of what I'm doing.


These keys call for a light touch.  The Coronet is also the first of my typewriters that has a numeral 1
and an exclamation point.  Still have to find that backspace, though...

Part of the typewriter's body can be lifted off to replace the ink cartridge,
so you can really get into the belly of the beast.

Got to love the 1970s styling!

5 comments:

  1. This is a cool one! It types a lot better than the other 'writers from what I can see...did you get this from the Grandmother-we-share's house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I just bought this same model typewriter on eBay. It has yet to arrive (because I just bought it not even an hour ago), and I've been Googling to see if it has a backspace key. I notice in your image above, you have managed to put dashes through a word or two. How did you manage that? Did you finally the backspace? And if so, can you please fill me in? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Backspace is the arrow key above the lock key :). I have the same typewriter but I'm having a hard time finding ribbon for it :(.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of ribbon cartridge if good for the electric typewriter?

    ReplyDelete