Sunday, May 8, 2011

Asparagus Spears Wrapped in Prosciutto


I usually have a hand in most of the desserts we make over here, but Mother's Day is an exception.  This is the one day a year that my Dad rolls out his truly excellent cheesecake (if we had this more than once a year, someone would have to roll us out).  But I wanted to contribute to the meal, so I decided to attempt an appetizer we'd never had before.  I wanted to make something different, visually appealing, and, mostly importantly, really simple.  After some Googling, I settled on asparagus wrapped in prosciutto.

Asparagus is one of Mom's favorite vegetables, and who doesn't love prosciutto?  This dish is easy to make, fun to eat, relatively healthy, and it looks great on any table.  There are about a hundred variation of this recipe on the web, so I took them several of them into account and came up with this hybrid.  While the prosciutto gets nice and crispy in the oven, it also tends to get a bit salty.  For a less salty alternative, try wrapping the prosciutto around the asparagus after they've been roasted.

Here's the recipe (and my first attempt at typecasting, so please bear with me):


So typing that up was harder than I thought it would be.  Do you see how the type looks as if it's been cobbled together by a drunken five year old?  Really need to get that fixed.  I think my Corona 4 is in better shape, and I should be receiving a new ribbon for it in the next couple days.  Hopefully my next attempt will look better!
Asparagus is versatile, simple to prepare, and an excellent
accompaniment to many spring and summer meals.
All wrapped up and nowhere to go....except the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment